AN EXPANDING MARKET
In most cases, tourism remains an important market within the economy of many different countries, since individuals need to travel and rest. Until recently, this obligation was not really recognised for disabled people, and this part of the population was not traveling often because facilities were inaccessible to them.
Today, the demand in this tourism sector is growing fast; the number of disabled people wishing to go on holiday as well as the number of facilities adapted to them has increased.
We can say that tourism for disabled people became a larger market since it is based on a growing demand and interest from the tourism industry thanks to several factors:
- The number of people with a handicap, so the number of prospective clients, is very high ;
- Disabled people usually travel with a friend, a member of the family or a social worker and the number of prospective clients can easily be doubled;
- Disabled people are better informed and can organise their holidays more easily thanks to information technology;
- The tourist market has deeply changed; nowadays not only young people are traveling but also elderly people;
- Disabled or elderly people can travel at any time, even during off seasons, therefore demand is more homogenous throughout the year; satisfying tourist operators.
- These customers often book in advance, representing a certainty for the tourist industry.